Sunday 6 November 2011

Final Fortnight Down Under



Well hey there! It’s been a while. I’ve been busy, but ther hasn’t been any really huge events. Mostly just run of the mill, day to day, class related stuff. There have been some good times, like returning to the Opera House to see the Symphony play music by Beethoven from his music for the Goethe play Egmont. That was really cool. There were some great pieces. My favorite started with a loud, warlike drumbeat. We also had some pretty crazy Halloween parties. I went as an overexcited American tourist complete with Sydney shirt, an ‘I heart Sydney’ mug, camouflaged explorer hat, camera around my neck, and Sydney tour guidebook. At one party I couldn’t find my Sydney shirt, so I threw on some blue jeans, a wife beater, and a Jim Beam hat. I grabbed a toothpick to chew on and walked around barefoot emanating hatred to everything, like a true redneck. Everyone was impressed with my commitment to character. Wow, November already. Seems like last week I was on a bus from the airport on my first time over the Harbour Bridge, in awe at the Sydney Opera House. Now, in less then 2 weeks, I will be taking the train back across that bridge on the way to the airport for my flight home. Time really does fly.
Anyways, back to what I’ve been up to. Which is not much. Mostly just school work. Yesterday we spent taking a surfing lesson at Manly Beach. It was a gorgeous day out, but the sun was really intense. I managed to get a few good surfs in. After 2 hours of surfing, we went kayaking on the harbor. We went to a little cove with a nice cliff to jump into the harbor from. It was about a 25 foot drop, so I went twice. After being there for a bit, we kayaked over to a nice little beach then to the old quarantine hospital, that’s now a restaurant and museum. It was pretty neat looking at the stuff about keeping the sick people there, away from the main Sydney population until they got all better.
After that, we hung out in Manly and walked over to Shelley beach to see the view. Today starts our last week of classes. Then it’s 3 weeks of finals. I have no exams, so I just have to finish up my last paper and a project by Friday and then I’m done. I leave here and arrive at home on the 20th after a 21 hour trip or so. Gotta love the time zones. That’s all I have for now!
-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment