Monday 29 August 2011

What's new.



Monday the 22nd was a reading day for me. Then Tuesday was back to classes and we had planned a small get together for dinner. Joey made chili and people brought stuff and it was a nice little potluck. Except there were 35 people in our apartment. There was hardly any room to move at all. We borrowed 5 more chairs so we’d have enough seating for most of the people. It was a really good time, and we had a lot of chili and pasta. We had some desserts too, like mini cakes and a cool chocolate cookie like dish. We had some wine and ended up staying up until around 3:30.
That Wednesday was a pretty uneventful tutorial. Then back to Ultimate Frisbee club and then the Ranch for Hump day celebration. That Thursday we were all pretty tired so we went to the Ranch for dinner. I got some humongous buffalo wings and we all had a bunch of potato wedges. It was quite delicious.
Ahh Friday at last. Now’s where things get interesting… We were supposed to meet at 11AM at Lane Cove National Park for my Advanced Sound Design class to record some sounds and get familiar with the equipment. I made it about halfway there before I realized I didn’t have the phone number they had given us in case we got lost. I tried calling some people, but they were in class or didn’t have any credit on their phones. I got to where I thought it was supposed to be and didn’t see it so I decided to go back and try the path I had seen. I took the Great Northern Trail all the way through the park (4.2  km). It was a pretty gorgeous walk and beautiful weather so It wasn’t that stressful. By the time I got to the end of the path I had seen about 5 other people, a big lizard, and all sorts of birds. Walked down by the river for about a kilometer, and was a little tired. At the end of the path I ran into the class, and got a bit of pity from them when I told the tale. But I got a ride home out of it. Overall I walked about 10.8 km (5.6 miles). By the time I got home I was a little less exhausted. We went to the U-bar for some drinks around 5:30 and ended up staying there for several hours. It was fun.
The Big Merino
Shot from inside the big Merino
Saturday we work up early to get on the road by 10 to go to Canberra. We stopped at Goulbourn on the way to get some meat pies and see the world’s biggest merino. The meat pies were delicious! The whole trip was about 3 hours of drive time. 






View of Capital Building
from the lookout
When we got to the Capital, we went up to Mount Ainslie lookout to see the city from up high. We then spent a few hours at the Australian War Memorial. It was pretty sobering and really cool at the same time. Saw some great displays and they had a lot of diorama exhibits that were awesome to look at. Afterwards we checked in at the Youth Hostel there and went out for some Thai food, where we had some red curry duck, curry puffs, garlic chicken, squid and some other stuff. One of the best meals I’ve had here so far. After that we watched a Rugby game at one of the downtown bars and had some $3, weak drinks.
Sunday we got up and went to the National Museum of Australia and wandered through there for a few hours. After that we went to the Parliament house and took a tour. It was really cool to see how their system works over here. I felt like I knew more about their government than that of the US afterwards. We then visited the National Art Gallery. After that we grabbed some food and hit the road. The trip back seemed much quicker.
Monday was a catch up day. I used it to write a paper outline due on Tuesday and catch up on the blog. Well now I’m caught up to the present and I am sure you don’t want to read about how I’m updating my blog, so I’ll see you next time. Thanks for reading!


Another view of the Capital Building

Fountain in the manmade lake in Canberra

Cool statue in front of War Memorial

Entrance to War Memorial

Pool inside entry to War Memorial
View of the path up to Capital
with our guide Murray and Sarah

Wall of names of soldiers lost

Tomb of an unknown Aussie soldier with stain glass reflected in it

another wall of names

Reading about the unknown soldier

Reflecting pool with the flame

Entry way to the War Memorial 


Murray and Sarah

The cannon shot out the sun!!


-Dan 

No comments:

Post a Comment